QUICK FACTS ABOUT LAKE COMO
- Lake Como is the third-largest lake in Italy, after Lake Garda and Lake Maggiore and the deepest lake in Europe at over 400 metres (1,300 feet) deep.
- The name of Lake Como originally comes from Ancient Greece. The Greeks called the lake, Lario (Λάριος), and the Romans translated it into Latin as, Lacus Larius. It comes from the root “lar,” which refers to the depths of Como. In the Middle Ages the Latin name was not relevant anymore and a new one took over – Como, which is short for, Lacus Comensis.
- You probably have seen this beautiful lake in the movie like Ocean’s Twelve(2004), James Bond film Casino Royale(2006), Star Wars: Attack of the Clones(2002), A Month by the Lake(1995), Julia and Julia(2009), The Complete Churchill Series (1991) and Man on Fire (1987).
- The natural beauty of this lake inspire great artists and politicians like President F.D. Roosevelt, President J.F. Kennedy, Stendhal, Giuseppe Verdi, Lord Byron, Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, Ernest Hemingway, Mark Twain, Leonardo da Vinci and many others.
- Since the earliest days of the Roman Empire Lake Como has been a popular spot of rich and famous people. George Clooney, Julia Roberts, Antonio Banderas, David Beckham, and Catherine Zeta Jones own villas on the shore of the lake.
Lake Como is a favourite spot for a relaxing and beautiful get away from Milan’s busy city. The fact that Lake Como is less than an hour away from Milan makes it very easy to get to as well. I cannot remember exactly how many times I’ve been here. But undoubtedly all the visits were unique, memorable and beautiful like the lake itself.
So here are the highlights of what I love about Lake Como so you can fall in love with it too. In 5 easy steps.
1. Challenge yourself! Walk, take the bus, or go around with bike. There are so many options, so you don’t limit yourself to see every landscape in different viewpoint.
2. Admire the statues, monuments and villas that seem to be everywhere.
3. Take the boat that goes to different towns around the lake. Varenna, Bellaggio, Lenno, Tremezzo, Lezzeno all these towns will make you feel as if you’re in another time, and surely a charming place where you can relax, unwind and enjoy the moment.
4. They said dine where the locals dine and drink where the locals drink; so why not swim where the locals swim?
5. Savour a coffee in a balcony with your special someone or grab a cocktail with your friends. Make sure to always have a charming lakefront location and imagine what your life would be like if you live here.
So are you ready to enjoy a wonderful range of opportunities to enjoy the beautiful lake water? Are you ready to fall in love again?:)
USEFUL LINKS & TIPS:
If you don’t have a car and you plan to explore the lake area by bus consider that the buses pass less often at weekends.
Milan – Como by train 4,80€
POINTS OF INTEREST: